Sunday, September 12, 2010

Deep Fried Pepsi

Deep Fried Pepsi


Being from the deep south, I come from the camp, that anything can be fried.  My favorite fried foods are chicken and okra.  Anything, however, if it is still long enough and close enough to the badder, it can and will be fried.  My family had made deep friend cookies and cookie dough since I was a little bit.  Now, you can find deep fried Oreos (my favorite) and chocolate chip cookies at almost every street fair.  A few weeks ago, a friend of mine was at the Kentucky State Fair and they had something, I didn't think was possible, Deep Fried Pepsi!  Well, being that I am convinced that I can cook anything, I decided to try.  I found this recipe online, got out my deep fryer, and went for it. It was, can I say, interesting.  However, in the future, I'll stick to things that were meant to be fried, like Oreos and Snickers :)

1 1/2 cups of Pepsi
1 1/2 cups of Flour
5 large eggs
1 cup of real butter
pinch of salt
peanut oil

Step 1  Combine the Pepsi and the butter in a melting pot and bring to a boil. Once at a boil add the flour and the salt and whisk together over med/low heat until it is smooth and all incorporated.

Step 2  Pour the batter into an electric blender and let cool for 30 seconds or so. Mix on medium speed and add the eggs one at a time. DO NOT add all the eggs at once, this will ruin the product. Once the eggs have been added beat until the batter holds stiff peaks.

Step 3 Place the mixture into a small pouring bowl and heat peanut oil in a deep fryer to 375F. Make sure the peanut oil is at least 5 inches deep. Create small balls out of the mixture and add to the deep fryer. Fry until the balls rise to the surface and turn golden brown in color.

Step 4 Remove the fried Pepsi from the oil and place on a draining rack. Sprinkle with sugar or powder sugar. Let cool for 5 minutes and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment