Friday, September 10, 2010

Cookbook of the Week -- Secrets of Peruvian Cuisine



A few weeks ago, my Around the World Dinner Club's theme was Peruvian.  I was not overly familiar with Peruvian Cuisine and did not know really what to expect.  The main dish was Cevicha, which was amazing!   I have only recently discovered a love for fish and Cevicha only made that love grow.  The side dishes were amazing as well.  It seemed I had found a new cuisine to love, Peruvian!  So, I went in search of the best Peruvian Cookbook and found Secrets of Peruvian Cuisine. 


I love that the book contains both English and Spanish for all of the recipes.  While, I do not yet speak Spanish, my hope is one day soon I will.  The photos are amazing and the food seems to be so fresh you can smell it.   Here is a Ceviche Recipe for you to enjoy!


Ingredients:
2 pounds of tilapia fillets, diced (you can also use other white fish fillets)
1 ½ cup of fresh lemon juice
1 fresh yellow hot pepper, seeded and chopped (if you can’t find it, use a habanero pepper)
½ cup of celery, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 large red onions, cut into long thing strips - julienne style
3 tablespoons of fresh cilantro, chopped
1 cup of lemon juice
Boiled corn, cut in 2 inch pieces
Boiled sweet potatoes, cut in slices
Lettuce leaves 
 
Put the fish into a large glass bowl with the lemon juice (1 ½ cup), cover, and put in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
Drain the lemon juice from the fish and add the hot pepper, celery, garlic, onions, cilantro, salt, pepper and the rest of the lemon juice (1 cup). Put in the fridge until ready to serve.
Serve the ceviche on top of lettuce leaves. Enjoy with corn and sweet potatoes on the side!

No comments:

Post a Comment