Friday, July 16, 2010

Summer Gatherings

I love the fact that its Friday, but I hate the fact that summer seems to be flying by!  I am not ready for shorter days or cooler evenings.  So, I am trying to squeeze every bit of summer that I can.  One of the thing I love to do in the summer is cook out doors.  I love grilling and smoking meats.  Last year I got a little tired of the same old plain grilling.  So, I went on a search for a cookbook that would give me some new ideas.  I found the cookbook Southern Gatherings: Casual Food to Enjoy with Family and Friends, my cookbook of the week this week.




Not only did this cookbook inspire me to try new recipes, it also inspired me to host new parties.  Rick Rodgers has some amazing recipes that put a new spin on old favorites and will add a little spice to your summer.  There is a whole section on Pastas and Risotto (which is one of my new favorite things in the world). 

I am not a huge fan of traditional BBQ, but I have found a new love for non-traditional BBQ thanks to this book.  My favorite is Grilled Chicken with White Rosemary Barbecue Sauce -- IT IS TO DIE FOR!!!  GO TO THE STORE NOW AND MAKE IT!!!



Grilled Chicken with White Rosemary Barbecue Sauce
Makes 6 to 8 servings

1 1/3 cups mayonnaise
Grated zest of 1 lemon
½ cup fresh lemon juice
4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
2 garlic cloves, crushed through a press
Two 4 pound chickens, each cut into 8 serving pieces
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

r1. To make the sauce, whisk the mayonnaise, lemon zest and juice, rosemary, and garlic together. (The sauce can be made up to 3 days ahead, covered, and refrigerated.

)2. Build a fire for indirect grilling in an outdoor grill. For a charcoal grill, leave the coals heaped in a mound in the center. For a gas grill, preheat on High. Then leave one burner on high and turn the other burner(s) off

.3. Season the chicken with the salt and pepper. Lightly oil the cooking grate. Place the chicken on the unheated areas of the grill (that is, on the perimeter around, but not over, the coals in the charcoal grill, or over the off burners of the gas grill). Cover and grill for 20 minutes. Turn the chicken, cover, and continue grilling until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the breast reads 165°, about 20 minutes more

e.4. Move the chicken to the hot area of the grill (over the coals of the charcoal grill, and over the high burner of the gas grill). Brush the chicken all over with the mayonnaise mixture. Grill, turning and basting occasionally with the remaining mayonnaise mixture, until the mayonnaise has reduced to a mostly transparent glaze, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a platter and serve hot, with the remaining sauce passed on the side, if you wish.


I strongly recommend this book, if you love summer cooking, light fare, and entertaining!  Have a wonderful Friday, and I'll see you back here tomorrow for Supper Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment