Sunday, July 11, 2010

Side Dish Sunday!

Happy Sunday Ya'll!  Sunday is the longest day of the week for me, but it is such a good way to start the week.  Today is going to prove to be extra long, but in a good way -- the Administration Support Committee at my church is having a staff appreciation pot-luck.  One of the great perks of being a pastor is I get PAID to go to POT LUCKS!!!  I do love me some fried chicken, but at a church pot luck, forget the chicken and give me some sides :)   I very rarely sit down for more than 2-3 minutes at a pot luck, so I figure I can eat as much as I want.  For tonight's pot luck, the staff was not supposed to bring anything, but I couldn't help myself.  I love to cook and can cook anything --so of course I'm bringing something.  Since I had left over ribs last night and was making Asian Cole Slaw, so I just made a little extra.  I have come to believe that everyone has their own version of this, but mine has a little something different.  So try a little something different.

Asian Cole Slaw


Two Bag of Shredded Slaw -- I normally use one regular and one broccoli -- mainly because my mom doesn't like broccoli and I love sneaking it in :)

Two bag of oriental flavor Ramen Noddles

1 Bag of Walnuts (to make my mom happy)

1 Bag of sliced Almonds (to make me happy)

1 Stick of Butter

About a cup or so Brown Sugar (Actually mix light and dark)

1/2 Cup or so of Apple Cider Vinegar

1 or a little less of Blended Oil

Two Pours of Soy Sauce (I use the low sodium)

Salt And Pepper to Taste


Candied Nuts

Melt the stick of butter a frying pan, add a 1/2 of cup of brown sugar, stir until melted -- add more brown sugar as needed -- it should be the consistency of Elmer's Glue.  Add nuts to coat with the sugar paste.  Place on paper towel or wax paper to dry.


Dressing

Add 1/2 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
2 long pours of Soy Sauce (About two Tablespoons)
Flavor Packages from Ramen
Blended Oil -- I normally add about a cup, but you can start with 1/2 of a cup and keep adding until you like the way it taste
Salt and Pepper to Taste -- if desired.

Then it's simple -- add one bag of slaw to a bowl with one package of the Ramen noddles crushed up, 1/2 the nuts, and 1/2 the dressing -- mix well.  Then just at the rest of the ingredients on top of that and mix again.  Enjoy!  I know I will....

Look for photos on the facebook page tonight to see what's in store for tomorrow.  Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment